These free printable matching card games are instantly downloadable and will make a great addition to your memory game collection in class or at home.
There are a variety of matching pairs of images in various themes, as well as colours, numbers and shapes, that are perfect for preschool and kindergarten-age children.
Here is a peek at the 9 printable preschool matching games, available for download as a PDF file from Dropbox at the end of this post:
The printable set also includes free puzzles, sequencing cards, lotto games, ‘find my mom’ cards, a learning-through-play activity pack and short stories, so your kids will have lots of fun educational activities to do:
How to Prepare the Cards
- Choose the sets of cards you’d like to print.
- Print two copies of each page to make pairs of matching cards.
- Print it onto cardstock or poster board paper so that it is durable and also so that you don’t see the pictures from the back.
- Optional: laminate the pages to make the cards last even longer.
- Cut out the individual cards.
How to Play the Memory Game
- This game can be played with 2 or more children.
- Choose how many pairs of matching cards you would like to play with – young children can start with 3 or 4 pairs, and older children can go up to 24 pairs.
- Lay them all face down and shuffle them.
- Players take turns turning over two cards at a time.
- If they match, the player keeps the cards.
- If they don’t match, the player must turn them face down again.
- In the end, the player with the most pairs of cards wins the game.
- Playing with toddlers? Shuffle and lay all the cards face up, and let toddlers find the matching pairs.
Benefits of Playing Memory Games
Here are just a few of the skills that playing memory games improves:
- Visual memory
- Visual discrimination
- Attention span
- Fine motor coordination
- Social skills – turn-taking and cooperation
- Shapes, colours and number concept
Printable Matching Games
Here is a look at all the matching games in the printable PDF:
1. Fruit Memory Game
12 picture cards of various fruits:
2. Shape Memory Game
12 picture cards of two and three-dimensional shapes:
3. Ocean Memory Game
24 picture cards with ocean-themed images:
4. Fun Things Memory Game
12 picture cards of children’s toys:
5. Colour Memory Game
12 picture cards of different colours:
6. ‘Things That Go’ Memory Game
24 picture cards with transportation-themed images:
7. Number Memory Game
9 cards with dots representing the numbers 1 to 9:
8. Bugs Memory Game
12 picture cards of various bugs:
9. African Animals
24 picture cards of animals, reptiles and birds found in Africa:
To get your free printable matching games- as well as an awesome activity pack with a year of activities – click below to unlock the exclusive content.
Please note you’ll be asked to sign up for a free Grow account, which is a great tool you can use to bookmark your favourite articles across all websites that use Grow, and save them to read later. You’ll also receive emails with lots of educational activities and info. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Get FREE access to Printable Puzzles, Stories, Activity Packs and more!
Sign up and you’ll receive a downloadable set of printable puzzles, games and short stories, as well as the Learning Through Play Activity Pack which includes an entire year of activities for 3 to 6-year-olds.
Access is free forever.
Signing up for a free Grow account is fast and easy and will allow you to bookmark articles to read later, on this website as well as many websites worldwide that use Grow.